A manor has existed at Compton Verney at least as early as 1150, at which time the local village was known as Compton Murdak. In 1453 it was sold to Richard Verney. The manor, and the house built by the Verney family, became known as Compton Verney.
In 1769 the noted landscape garden designer Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown was called in to remodel Compton Verney’s grounds. All of the formal gardens were removed, and 2200 oak trees were planted to complement his sweeping landscape views. Brown also designed a chapel, where the family tombs can still be seen.
During WWII the house was used by the army, following which it changed hands a number of times and in the late 50’s was bought by a local nightclub owner who occasionally allowed film companies to use the grounds. By the 1980’s it had lapsed into a semi-derelict state. Purchased by the Peter Moores Foundation and gifted to the Compton Verney House Trust in 1993, the estate has undergone an extensive programme of restoration and rebuilding to transform it into an award-winning art gallery.
Set around a courtyard, the old stables and coach house,(which were built in the early part of the eighteenth century of the same white stone as Compton Verney itself,) were converted some 30 years ago to form 4 houses and 6 apartments. Number 4 is the largest of the Apartments. All are private residences, and seldom change hands.
The current owners acquired Number 4 in 2017 and have undertaken a comprehensive renovation of the generously proportioned Apartment to create a well-appointed and comfortable property.
The building is Listed as Grade 2*, and in addition to the impressive authentic symmetrical stone facades, displays a splendid clock tower which faces into the courtyard and toward the house and lake.